The Civic Alliance for Justice and Democracy is the civil society body that accepted Nicaraguan Government´s invitation to Dialogue.
Press Release #9
- That the government once again failed to comply by not immediately issuing the invitation letters to the International Human Rights organizations: The Secretary General of the Organization of American States, the Interamerican Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, and the European Union, according to the agreement of the plenary session of the National Dialogue on June 15, 2018. This is crucial to being able to stop the repression and blood shed, and that would ensure an independent investigation and the security of the citizens.
- That the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, today, during his inaugural speech for the 38th session of the Human Rights Council, “condemned the violence in Nicaragua and pointed out that he hopes that the Nicaraguan Government would comply with their commitment on June 15th during the renewal of the National Dialogue, including the immediate end to all forms of violence and the invitation, without delay, to their office to visit the country,” according to the press release.
- The continual repression and intimidation on the part of the Government and their parapolice bodies against the people of Nicaragua, increasing each day the number of deaths, wounded and kidnapped;
- The reiterated signs of lack of will on the part of the Government to end the repression and demobilize the para police forces, being a condition expressed by the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) to install their process of Dialogue, and ratified by the IACHR in their preliminary report of May 21 that “…urges the State of Nicaragua to immediately cease the repression…”;
We make known to the people of Nicaragua and the international community
- The suspension today of the Electoral and Judicial working roundtables, and the Commission for Verification and Security. Tomorrow we will rejoin the plenary of the National Dialogue and we will demand compliance with what was agreed upon as an indispensable condition to continue dialoguing.
- Our support to the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua and our commitment to the National Dialogue as the only way to put an end to the repression of the people and the search for a Nicaragua with Justice, Security, and Democracy for everyone.
- The reiterated commitment of the Civic Alliance to create the conditions so that the National Dialogue might achieve its objective of Justice and Democracy and our commitment to search for a peaceful outcome through this body.
Managua, June 18, 2018